Today is Friday, but I am taking a break from my Friday’s Favourites, because today is also my birthday. So in keeping with my tradition (started last year), I am going to share twenty five things I’ve learned now that I am 25.
- Don’t mistake who someone can be for who they are.
- Sometimes you will feel lonely; but that doesn’t mean you are alone.
- People can’t be there for you if you don’t ask them to be. And there is nothing weak about asking for help.
- You cannot control your circumstances – but you can control what you make of them. And though some circumstances can’t be changed, you can choose whether or not you will let them change you.
- No matter how badly you want to run away from community, run towards it instead.
- Izzy Stevens was right: ”Believing we survive is what makes us survive.”
- People will say things to and about you – horrible things – but nobody has the authority to tell you who you are.
- The secret behind outstanding lipstick is lip primer.
- You don’t have to be perfect, and you don’t have to do it all – just do the best that you can, because that’s all anyone can do.
- When it comes to bettering yourself or your situation, there is never a valid excuse to not at least try.
- Recovery is hard, but contrary to what most people say, it is not the hardest thing. The hardest thing is life before you choose recovery.
- If you are a writer, never stop writing – or you will slowly die inside.
- Make no mistake about it – red lipstick is empowering.
- Good writing = good editing.
- Never stop reading; reading helps us grow. And television has nothing on a good book.
- Often we are much, much more than we think we are.
- You cannot control how people treat you, but you can control the amount of power their actions have over you.
- To improve your writing instantly, eliminate the word “that.”
- There is always a reason to be sad, but there is also always a reason to be happy; choose wisely which you will focus on.
- Splurge on your makeup brushes – application changes everything. (bonus: CLEAN the brushes, otherwise there was no point in splurging)
- People can only get as close to you as you will let them. And being “known” is not the same as having community.
- The wicked don’t always lose; sometimes they come out on top. Do the right thing, anyways.
- Never allow yourself to get to the place where you can’t be happy for others.
- Life is not a competition.